2018 Blind Idol Competition Guidelines
A Brighter Path Programs is a division of Winston-Salem Industries for the Blind, d/b/a IFB Solutions.
1) How to enter: Submit a video or mp3 audio file of you singing a song or portion of one song of your choice, not to exceed two minutes in length either online or by mail. All submissions must arrive between February 12, 2018 and 5:00 PM EST on March 30, 2018. See “INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTRY” details below.
2) Competition selection process: Ten (10) semifinalists, chosen by IFB Solutions staff from the recorded submissions, will be notified by April 16, 2018 that they are invited to the live semifinal audition in Durham, North Carolina, on June 16, 2018. At the semifinal audition, semifinalists will perform one song no more than five (5) minutes in length and must provide an accompaniment track in an mp3 format or play his or her own accompaniment – no one other than entrant will be allowed on stage. Semifinalists playing their own accompaniment must make arrangements with IFB Solutions staff for sound connection by May 1, 2018. This semi-final round location will be announced no later than May 1, 2018. Three (3) judges will evaluate the ten (10) semifinalists during their performance on June 16, 2018 in Durham, North Carolina and select five (5) finalists based on their singing performance and stage presence. The collective opinion of the panel of judges is the sole determinant of the five (5) finalists. Any and all decisions of the judges are final. The finalists will participate in a live finale competition on August 11, 2018 at Hanesbrands Theater in Winston-Salem, NC. Finalists should have two songs prepared, no longer than five (5) minutes each. Song selections should be contrasting genres (i.e. one ballad and one upbeat piece or one gospel song and one secular/pop song). Live accompaniment will be provided; entrant must submit sheet music for accompanists no later than July 14, 2018. No one other than entrant will be allowed on stage. Finalists will also perform a song together with music chosen by Blind Idol event staff; music will be provided to finalists in advance and contestants are expected to prepare the song prior to the event. A music director will provide some preparation for the finale at the Friday evening rehearsal. The three (3) judges will select the winner based on singing performance and stage presence. Only one (1) winner will be selected from the five (5) finalists. The collective opinion of the judges is the sole determinant of the winner. Any and all decisions of these judges are final.
3) Availability: Entrants must be available at the semi-final location on June 2 or June 16 depending on their location and at the finale location on August 10 for rehearsal and August 11 for performance. Entrants, family, and friends must arrange for their own transportation and lodging while in the semi-final and finale location area. Absolutely no transportation or lodging will be provided by IFB Solutions.
4) Entry Eligibility: Entries are open to any legally blind adult who is eighteen (18) years of age or over at time of entry who is also a resident of the United States of America. Entrants are required to provide proof of legal blindness as defined by the Social Security Administration (best corrected visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye; or a visual field limitation such that the widest diameter of the visual field, in the better eye, subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees, as measured with a Goldmann III4e or equivalent size stimulus.) One entry per person. Entries are restricted to solo performance, either self-accompanied or using accompaniment track. Past winners of A Brighter Path Blind Idol Competition cannot participate.
5) Prizes: One winner, chosen by a panel of judges at the August 11, 2018 live finale competition, will win the Grand Prize package:
a) Two thousand dollars ($2000) cash
b) Eight (8) hours of recording time at a recording facility chosen by IFB Solutions in its sole discretion, with recorded files provided to winner.
c) One (1) professional headshot provided by a photographer chosen by IFB Solutions in its sole discretion, with printed and digital files made available to the winner.
The value of non-cash prizes is $2,000 for a total prize package value of $4,000. Non-cash prize items will be provided in the form of gift certificates or cards, which the winner is responsible for redeeming at the issuing vendors in addition to coordinating all logistics and other extenuating matters related to prize redemption. Grand prize winner is responsible for all taxes associated with the receipt of prizes and assumes all risks and liabilities in association with prize redemption. No runner-up or additional prizes will be awarded.
6) Upon submission to IFB Solutions, all recorded video and audio files become the property of IFB Solutions and will not be returned to entrants in any format. These materials may be used in whole or in part by IFB Solutions at its discretion. By signing the entry form, you grant IFB Solutions, its representatives and employees the right to take photographs of you and your property in connection with the 2018 Blind Idol Competition. You authorize IFB Solutions, its assigns and transferees to copyright, use and publish the same in print and/or electronically. Additionally, you agree that IFB Solutions may use photographs of you with or without your name and for any lawful purpose, including for example such purposes as publicity, illustration, advertising, and web content.
By signing the entry form, you hereby agree to be responsible for securing any permission or reproduction rights needed to perform the content of your selected performance from the author, composer or other party responsible for controlling the use thereof, and you also agree that your participation in the 2018 Blind Idol Competition will not violate the terms of any employment or services agreement that you may be a party to.
By signing the entry form, you also agree to waive any claim against, and hold IFB Solutions, its officers, employees and agents harmless, for any injury or other harm you sustain during or in connection with your participation in the 2018 Blind Idol Competition, unless such injury or harm is the direct result of a grossly negligent or intentional act or omission of IFB Solutions, its officers, employees or agents.
NOTE: Entry forms will be made available on February 12, 2018.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTRY
1) Record your video (.mpeg) or audio (.mp3 or .wav) file.
a)All recordings must begin by saying your full name exactly as it is on the entry form, the competition name, and then stating the title and original performer of the song. For example, “My name is [name] and this is my entry for the 2018 A Brighter Path Blind Idol Competition. This song is titled [song title] and was originally performed by [artist].”
b) Song submissions should be no longer than two (2) minutes and thirty (30) seconds, including the opening statements.
2) Choose one submission method: Note submissions are open February 12, 2018 – March 30, 2018.
a) Online: Complete the 2018 Blind Idol Competition entry form. Upload your audio or video file as well as your letter of proof of legal blindness as prompted at the end of your application. The online entry form is screen-reader friendly.
b) Mail: Print and complete a copy of the entry form. Burn your video or audio to a playable DVD or CD and clearly label the DVD or CD with your name and song title. After February 12, 2018 mail a copy of the entry form, letter of proof of legal blindness and DVD or CD to:
A Brighter Path Blind Idol
Attn: Anastasia Powell
7730 North Point Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
3) Failure to follow entry instructions precisely will result in automatic disqualification, including but not limited to missing attachments, incorrect URLs, incorrect file formats, and/or missing information on the entry form
4) Questions? Contact Anastasia Powell at email@example.com or 336-245-5698.